Despite the promise, Rubio remains despite Rubio’s support, despite Rubio’s promise

Despite the promise, Rubio remains despite Rubio’s support, despite Rubio’s promise

When the Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced last month that life -rescue humanitarian life would be released from freezing foreign support, global health care workers breathed a relief.

But the fresh directive suspended such exclusions.

According to a copy proven by the Modern York Times, several older employees of Bureau of Global Health received the e -mail message with information about “please refrain from other approvals” in anticipation of further tips on the fully performed as the chief of staff.

According to a person familiar with what happened.

For weeks, USAID officials and organizations, contractors and consultants who cooperate with them tried to continue working, which Mr. Rubio promised to preserve – “basic life -saving medicine, medical services, food, shelter and support in substance.”

Some exemptions were issued to programs that are subject to the definition of Rubio’s “life -saving” assistance, but the payment system called Phoenix, on which USAID consists in paying financial assistance, has been unavailable for weeks. This means that even the programs that received dismissals tried to continue, according to many USAID employees and partner organizations, which are based on widespread funds.

The State Department did not answer the request for a comment to this article.

On Tuesday, Elon Musk, a billionaire of the entrepreneur’s technology, who entitled by President Trump to fight the agency told reporters in the Oval Office that the administration “included funds for prevention of Ebola and prevention of HIV.” But in fact, Ebola funds and practically all HIV prevention financing remain frozen, according to two USAID employees and several support groups.

Newborn engineers working for Mr. Musk took control of the agency payment system when they took power in recent weeks. As part of the dismantling supervised by Mr. Musk, the Department of State recently disseminated plans to reduce USAID staff from about 10,000 employees to 611, who were considered necessary staff.

Without access to financing, organizations that cooperate with USAID were unable to pay their employees and suppliers for projects depending on the financing of the US government.

The Norwegian refugee council, which performs a humanitarian work supported by the US in about 20 countries, said that she was unable to benefit from exemptions because the agency’s payments stopped.

“We currently have millions of dollars of overdue payments to the US government,” said the group in a statement, noting that civilians in conflict zones, such as Ukraine, Afghanistan and Sudan, would suffer if his work stopped. “Without a direct solution, we can, at the end of February, be forced to detain the US -financed humanitarian programs.”

Modern appointed political in the Department of State and USAID introduced other obstacles.

During one mission in Asia, officials received an exemption for three programs, including one for the elimination of malaria, but then they were told that they needed dismissals in individual projects as part of these programs, as the person with knowledge about impassions said.

The insulted USAID employees said this week that the break from dismissal was a sign that the end of their work saving life and other projects could be close.

This week, agency officials were notified that about 350 awards would be canceled. It was not clear at once how many of these contracts were on the list, which disseminated last week, identifying about 800 potential references.

Unlike previous notifications, E -Maile sent to staff on Wednesday, in which they deter them at some of the recent appeals, did not encourage them to check potential dismissals.

People replaced by Mr. Trump and Mr. Musk accused USAID officials of delay and attempt to undermine efforts to resolve programs by conducting their own reviews of contracts to ensure that life -saving work will not be canceled. However, these reviews would be needed to grant the exemptions promised by Mr. Rubio.

Over time, relationships representing USAID staff, as well as companies and organizations that cooperate with the Aid Agency, try to take a break from cuts through a series of court proceedings. Some managed to obtain short-lived ordering against the president’s efforts to dismantle the agency.

The plaintiffs argued that the reducing measures are unconstitutional and illegal, because the Congress appropriated funds for agencies and, according to the law, they must approve their withdrawal.

In one lawsuit, filed by companies that had USAID contracts for global programs, the development company announced that health supplies worth $ 250 million were stuck in transit or “got stuck in warehouses around the world” due to orders of work stopping, which accompanied . freeze. The company, Chemmonics, had to survive about two -thirds of staff with its registered office in the USA in recent weeks.

Trump’s administration lawyers argued in response to one of the trials that “the president has wide freedom to determine the conditions” regarding the provision of assistance.

As the legal battles’ passes, drastic changes in the most essential foreign aid agency of the US government are continued.

On Tuesday, Trump’s administration was released by the USAID general inspector, Paul K. Martin, only a day after the warning report was published, that the reduction and freezing of Person expenditure knows the exemption.

The report documented the confusion around the dismissals. He warned that almost half a billion dollars of food assistance was threatened with corruption, and the reduced ability to verify partner organizations made it hard to ensure that no US would be allocated to terrorism.

Also on Tuesday, the agency performed the next round of cuts for contractors, the latest in USAID, to be forced to leave.

And the administration of general services, a federal agency, which supervises the lease and other contracts, in recent days has completed the USAID lease agreement to the surface of the headquarters in the Ronald Reagan building in the center of Washington. The administration of general services said on Tuesday in a statement that this removed the signs of the Aid Agency and that the space with an area of ​​570,000 square feet would be “changed to other government needs.”

USAID employees at the construction lobby on Monday reported that officials from other agencies, including American customs and protection of borders, examining the office space. Employees found out on Tuesday that they lost their parking privileges because the lease of the agency was canceled, according to a copy of the internal E -Mail obtained by the Modern York Times.

Almost all agency employees were not banned before entering the headquarters for over a week, although some of them received access to their E -Mail this week to prepare for their departure.

Foreign service officers working for the Agency abroad received an order to leave their positions and return to the United States this month, as part of the movement, which puts the immense majority of direct employed on administrative leave. The order was temporarily delayed by a federal judge, who will then recognize the arguments in the case on Thursday.

Employees say that most of the USAID workforce will be released or pushed, and the other ones were absorbed in the Department of State. Both Mr. Trump and Mr. Musk, who published obscure conspiracy theories about the Aid Agency on his social media platform X, called for death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *